Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] "Visually" re-assemble packet

From: Christopher Smith <Christopher.Smith@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 23:30:36 +0000

>>> Like, a method to parse through a trace to present its granularity on protocols vs frames?
>>
>> So do you mean that you want a display that shows, for example, each HTTP request or response as a single line in the summary, with, for example, the length field showing the length of the request or response as a whole, with the packet details at a lower level (link-layer frame, IP, TCP) hidden?
>
> Yes :-)

OK, so the reassembly's already being done by Wireshark, and it's just a question of the packet summary display.

That can't *fully* be done currently, but if, for example, you filter the display with a filter such as "http", it'll show only the HTTP traffic.

I know L - my scenario it’s SMB – so on that filter I JUST get the “tail” frame – which is great for any analysis based on timestamps, but not the FULL picture

Thanks though!

Regards,

Christopher

'Grant Thornton' refers to the brand under which the Grant Thornton member firms provide assurance, tax and advisory services to their clients and/or refers to one or more member firms, as the context requires. Grant Thornton Australia Ltd is a member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd (GTIL). GTIL and the member firms are not a worldwide partnership. GTIL and each member firm is a separate legal entity. Services are delivered by the member firms. GTIL does not provide services to clients. GTIL and its member firms are not agents of, and do not obligate one another and are not liable for one another’s acts or omissions. In the Australian context only, the use of the term 'Grant Thornton' may refer to Grant Thornton Australia Limited ABN 41 127 556 389 and its Australian subsidiaries and related entities. GTIL is not an Australian related entity to Grant Thornton Australia Limited.

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation. Liability is limited in those States where a current scheme applies.

Registered Office, Level 30, 525 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any related attachments are confidential and should only be read by those persons to whom they were addressed. They may contain copyright, personal or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, any use, copying or disclosure of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete this email immediately. Any confidentiality, privilege or copyright is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you in error. Views expressed in this message are the views of the sender and are not necessarily views of Grant Thornton, except where the message expressly states otherwise. Any advice contained herein should be treated as preliminary advice only and subject to formal written confirmation. Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or any other defect which may cause damage or loss, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus‐free. Grant Thornton accepts no liability for any loss or damage that may occur as a result of the transmission of this email or its attachments to the recipient.