Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing Wi-Fi traffic to/from Modem

From: GaryT <gary@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 00:11:41 +1000

Two weeks ago on 13/07/14 22:47, Evan Huus wrote:

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 12:47 AM, GaryT <gary@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[BIG SNIP]
Have downloaded that page [1], made a PDF.  Will read it and hopefully
something will gel.... but the old brain is not nimble any more.

I believe the short version is:

1. Run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common" and select that Yes,
non-superusers should be able to capture packets.
2. Add your user to the "wireshark" group (not sure if there's a UI for
this in settings somewhere, if not, use "usermod -a -G wireshark
$username", possibly with sudo in front.
3. Log out and back in for that to take effect.

It worked, Evan.
First attempt something went wrong, probably typing. Then a couple of days later I tried again and it worked.
Then I had to drop it again until today.

See my next post re: events that followed - also see text file attached to that post.

Many thanks
GaryT