Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark 1.12.0rc3 for OS X 64bits is not really 64 bits

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:24:52 -0700
On Jul 23, 2014, at 5:09 PM, Fabrice Gautier <fabrice.gautier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I downloaded the 64bit OS X installer for 1.12.0rc3, and after
> installing, it is still asking me for X11, when I was expecting the QT
> version.

The port to Qt is incomplete, and lacks enough capabilities that it's not ready to be an official release yet, so 1.12 is being built as a GTK+/X11 application for OS X.

> My understanding is that the QT version is only in the 64 bits
> version,

Neither the 32-bit version of 1.12 for OS X nor the 64-bit version of 1.12 for OS X are Qt applications; they're both GTK+/X11 applications.

I think we're building the "1.99" trunk development versions with Qt; both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of that are available at

	http://www.wireshark.org/download/automated/osx/

> and after looking up what was installed, it seems that the
> main  Wireshark binary is a 32 bit binary,

The "main Wireshark binary", in the sense of "the program that's in /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/MacOS/Wireshark" is, in all the GTK+/X11 versions, a small wrapper program that runs the *real* Wireshark binary, in /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wireshark-bin.

/Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/MacOS/Wireshark is built 32-bit, but it doesn't do very much, so that would only be an issue if Apple ever dropped support for 32-bit x86; we will probably have switched to Qt by the time that happens.  /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wireshark-bin is built 32-bit in the 32-bit package and 64-bit in the 64-bit package.

> so i'm suspecting I'm not
> getting what I'm supposed to get from the download link.
>
> Anybody else was able to get the OS X, QT version of 1.12.0rc3 ?

Yes.  It can be found here:

	https://2.na.dl.wireshark.org/src/wireshark-1.12.0rc3.tar.bz2

You will need a tool named "gcc" or "clang" to install it. :-)

(I.e., if you want a Qt version of 1.12, you will need to build it from the source code.  We're not providing binary packages of the Qt version.)