Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark-users Digest, Vol 98, Issue 5

From: "Paul Raine" <praine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 09:27:26 -0500
>>We haven't dropped support for it.  If something doesn't work, it's
probably best to ask "I tried XXX, and it didn't work?", giving details,
rather than "is XXX still supported?", as the former makes fewer assumptions
as to the underlying problem.
>>(It's also best not to assume that somebody who answers an e-mail is the
only person with whom you should be discussing the problem; replying only to
them leaves out other people who ?might be able to help.)

  OK, sorry, let me re-phase that... I tried Bluetooth Packet Capture in
Wireshark. But it didn't work. Can anyone help?

>> OK, so that version of libpcap (Libpcap-1.1.1-3.fc14.i686.rpm) supports
Bluetooth capturing with the BlueZ Bluetooth stack *if* it was configured to
include that support.

  What is meant by "if it was configured to include that support."? Is there
something that I need to configure within Libpcap??

>>Is that the "Capture Interfaces" dialog that pops up if you click
"Interface List" on the Wireshark welcome screen or select "Interfaces" from
the "Capture" menu?  If so, it's successfully capturing packets (the packet
counts it shows for the interfaces it shows, whether Bluetooth or not, are
counts of packets it captures and discards, as it's capturing them only to
count them).
>>What is the name of the Bluetooth interface on which you're capturing?

  Yes I was referring to the "Capture Interfaces" dialog. The Bluetooth
Interface is called "bluetooth0 Bluetooth adapter number 0".

>>Or is it the main Wireshark window with the packet list, packet details,
and hex dump, and does "I get nothing in the capture window" mean that there
are no packets in the packet list?

  There are no packets in the main Wireshark window. This is the one (on my
computer) that is labelled "Capturing from Bluetooth adapter number 0 -
Wireshark". (It has fields such as "No.", "Time", "Source", "Destination",
"Protocol" and has the Hex dump at the bottom. No packets are displayed and
this main Wireshark window remains black even though when Bluetooth data is
exchanged with my computer it increases the "bluetooth0 Bluetooth adapter
number 0" count in the "Capture Interfaces" dialog.

Message: 5