Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing Wi-Fi traffic to/from Modem

From: GaryT <gary@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 03:53:57 +1000
On 13/07/14 22:47, Evan Huus wrote:
On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 12:47 AM, GaryT <gary@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[SNIP]
However, seriously I wonder whether I'm actually using Wireshark as root
on this desktop unit. I remember reading some deep and meaningful
discussion about the subject and apparently there is a potential security
issue running WS as root from a terminal; all I do is click the Wireshark
icon in the System Tools menu. Frankly I don't know whether I'm running it
as root or not!  Haven't given it any serious thought until now.   Comment??

That's almost certainly the issue then.

Evan, I think it was my fault for bringing into the discussion a comparison with my WS v1.11.0 on the desktop. When you wrote that line I think you were referring to the Wi-Fi on the laptop but I also think it might apply to both machines.

I have a somewhat decayed memory and often it needs a jolt to catch up with the world. Just now I had a look at my (desktop unit) users and groups and found my initial setup; a thing that is never changed and thought about even less frequently. I had completely forgotten it existed. I discovered that when setting up I gave myself a limited set of privileges; also I always have to enter the administrator password in order to do anything dangerous. I remember at the time concluding it would be fairly safe.

Does that mean I must give myself a similar set of privileges on the laptop and make sure I'm able for example to "connect to wireless and Ethernet networks" and so on?

I haven't been into that part of the current Ubuntu, because I can't find anything. Why people have to make changes for change's sake is beyond me. I'm using 10.04 on the desktop and the laptop has the latest (v14.??) It wastes SO MUCH time learning where things are and then in my case, remembering it as well!

It's nearly 4.00am here and I have to crash. I have a half written message to Guy to go but the body is quitting.
Thanks muchly
GT