Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark Bluetooth

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 16:57:33 -0700
On Jul 8, 2014, at 1:35 PM, "Paul Raine" <praine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anyone know if it's still possible to capture Bluetooth packets using
> Wireshark?

If you mean "capturing third-party Bluetooth traffic" - i.e., traffic other than that sent by and received by your machine - that's possible only with hardware such as Ubertooth:

	http://ubertooth.sourceforge.net

If you mean "capturing traffic sent by and received by the machine running Wireshark", I know of no reason why it would have have *stopped* being possible.

> - and if so what version of Linux, Wireshark and Libpcap do I need?

See

	http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Bluetooth

for information on the kernel and libpcap.

From

	http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Bluetooth?action=recall&rev=18

(which is an old page) support for dissecting those captures dates back to at least 2011, so Wireshark 1.6.0 might have been the first release with dissection support to go with the capture support - if not, 1.8.0 probably handles it.