Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Using Wireshark for a DSL "link no surf" problem [UPDATE]

From: Kok-Yong Tan <ktan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 20:09:28 -0400
On 7/2/14 19:31, Guy Harris wrote:

On Jul 2, 2014, at 3:46 PM, Kok-Yong Tan <ktan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

This segues to my next question:  Is there any way to use Wireshark
to ascertain the VPI/VCI of the ATM circuit from the Layer 2
packets that were said to have been flowing?  Or must I have
specialized software or hardware to do this?

If you're capturing on the Ethernet into the modem, I wouldn't expect
to see any ATM information from the capture - if, for example, the
modem has an HTTP-based configuration interface for use on the local
user side, Ethernet traffic to and from its Web server won't even
necessarily go out over the DSL circuit.

To capture traffic on the ATM side of the modem, you'd need
specialized hardware, and probably some level of specialized software
to talk to that hardware.

I noticed that the rep had nothing more than his laptop connected
via ethernet cable to the DSL modem when he noticed the different
VPI/VCI settings on a possibly in-house-only software running on
it.

According to the manual for your modem at the URL you sent in an
earlier message, there's an HTTP-based configuration interface.
That's probably what the rep was using.

Okay, noted on the ATM info.  Thanks.

Unfortunately, he wasn't using that HTTP-based interface (I looked at what he was looking at and it's not the Broadxent Briteport's interface). The Broadxent Briteport's web-based interface is just a status interface. There's nothing that can be set on it except for the PPPoE settings and there's also a reset-to-defaults button. All through the case when I was offline, it just displayed a VPI/VCI of 0/35. I suspect that there is another port which allows an admin user to login and manipulate the settings, just like on the replacement ZyXEL P660R-F1 the onsite tech provided me with.