Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Using Wireshark for a DSL "link no surf" problem--SOLUTION

From: Kok-Yong Tan <ktan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:55:03 -0400
As I expected, MegaPutz was at fault: They'd changed my VPI/VCI circuit numbers out from under me, from 0/35 (the default) to 0/40 at the DSLAM. This was proven when the technician showed up today with a brand new ZyXEL P660R-F1 ATU-R (a.k.a. CPE or DSL modem) which allowed changes via its webpage instead of some special piece of software only available to OEMs. When he plugged it in, the ZyXEL P660R-F1 also wouldn't connect with the default VPI/VCI of 0/35. But then he checked the configuration with a software tool only available to MegaPutz technicians and noticed that the idiots at the CO were sending data down 0/40 instead. Once he reconfigured the P660R-F1 for a VPI/VCI of 0/40, my link-no-surf issue instantly disappeared and my connection was back up again. Instantly. No delay. Like there was no problem whatsoever. Total time spent? 15 minutes. That included the introductory conversational pleasantries.

And the worst of it? MegaPutz now wants to charge me multiple $$$ for a "truck roll" plus the cost of the new modem despite having caused the issue in the first place ("we need to charge any time we send a technician out even if it's our fault and your modem is just old instead of plain broken"). Even when all they'd had to do was to revert the circuit to 0/35 instead of the 0/40 they had set it to (the VPI/VCI numbers are virtual circuit numbers). A 2-minute job. Maybe 5-minutes if they stopped to scratch their butts. If they knew what they were doing, that was (they'd told me they escalated this trouble ticket to Tier 2, NOC Operations and then the duty Network Engineer but everybody just came back with "it's a broken CPE"). Something they should've noticed when I sent them screenshots of the old Broadxent Briteport's setup screens which prominently displayed the VPI/VCI as 0/35 and not 0/40 that they had set the DSLAM card to. And the only "upside" from my being down for 11 days while out at Sharkfest? A measly $33 credit for the problem they caused in the first place. Since they bought out Speakeasy (which I was an original customer of and whose Tier 1 techs were the equivalent of everybody else's Tier 3 techs), MegaPath's constant cost cutting truly shows in the quality of their staff (their field technicians are different because they're subcontractors so there are good ones and bad ones).

#MegaPathSucks