Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Oddity

From: Perry Smith <pedzsan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 11:49:28 -0500
I am using the latest wireshark (1.10.7) on a Mac 10.8.5 and I have an oddity...

I have a big 600M pcap.  I can load it up in wireshark and go to IO Graphs and I get graphs like you would expect.

I use editcap to split the file into pieces using -i.  If I do -i 100, then I can not get an IO Graphs to display.  The window comes up but there is no graph(s) drawn.  If I do -i 10, then it works again.  The final twist is if a friend loads up one of the pieces from the -i 100 split, it works for him.

The command is:

editcap -i 100.0 big.pcap small

To recap: editcap -i 100 on a Mac followed by using wireshark on a Mac does not show any IO Graphs while the same file works fine on another system (I think he had a windows box).

It appears small values of -i work while larger ones do not but I'm still doing some experimentation.

Am I perhaps doing something wrong?

Thank you for your help,
Perry