Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] isakmp packet on port 8500

From: Stuart Kendrick <stuart.kendrick.sea@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 05:21:01 -0700
I claim (the term 'claim' in my lingo means:  take what I say with
increased skepticism) that Wireshark figures out which decoder to
apply by looking at udp/tcp port numbers and consulting an internal
look-up table.  I'm unclear how to examine that look-up table, but I
suspect we can peek at inputs to it via items like Edit, Preferences,
Protocols, HTTP, TCP Ports:
80,3128,3132,5985,8080,8088,11371,1900,2869,2710  [Although I see
nothing similar for ... Protocols, ISAKMP]

And thus that Wireshark will not apply its ISAKMP decoder to an ISAKMP
frame slotted into a port other than 500.

Which is where the Analyze, Decode As... feature comes into play.
Give that a try, see how Wireshark then portrays your port 8500
traffic.

Looks like one can even save such choices:

"Once you added one or more "Decode As..." definitions, go to "Analyze
-> User Defined Decodes..." and choose "Save". This will save these
"Decode As..." definitions in your current configuration profile. So
you can even have a different set of custom port mappings for
different setups by defining multiple configuration profiles."
http://ask.wireshark.org/questions/14213/protocol-port-change-or-port-adding-in-wireshark

I have not done this myself, but it sounds coherent.

hth,

--sk