Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] can't filter bidirectional traffic

From: Noam Birnbaum <noam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:12:13 -0700
Hey all,

I posted this on the wiki but haven’t gotten much help.

I'm trying to filter capture traffic. I want to see all LPD traffic to/from a particular printer. However, regardless of whether I use "host 1.2.3.4" or "tcp port 515", Wireshark captures only traffic originating from the printer; it doesn't capture traffic from the other side of the TCP connection.

However, when I capture with no capture filters, both Tx and Rx are captured!

I tested this also with tcpdump and got the same results: capture filters only show source traffic from the printer; unfiltered captures show everything.

I'm running v1.10.6 on Mac OS 10.9.2.

Thanks!

Noam Birnbaum
Mac Daddy