Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Discover network topology

From: Lee <ler762@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 10:23:25 -0500
On 1/25/14, Ивица Соколовски <devil.ajs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me, is it possible to discover the
> network topology (router, DHCP server, DNS server, network nodes etc.)? If
> yes, I would appreciate if I get some help on this, since I am a newbie
> interested in networking. Pointing out some reference would also work.

best: look at all the router, switch and server configurations.  100%
accurate but also 100% manual labor

next best: enable snmp on all the routers, switches and servers.  Use
a network discovery tool (standalone or part of a network management
systems have)  I haven't looked at it in years, but at one time NetViz
& Visio claimed the ability to discover your network and then generate
a pretty network diagram for you.

note that I haven't mentioned wireshark.  It's great at what it does,
but it doesn't do network discovery.

Regards,
Lee