Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] In the Open dialog, are the options to show only particula

From: "Dana J. Dawson" <Dana.Dawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 12:14:14 -0600
I pretty much always know what file I want to open, so I don't need a lot of fancy processing by file type.  Clearly the "All Files" option if valuable, but aside from that all I'd really need would be generic file name filtering that included but was not limited to file name extensions, along with the ability to do basic wild carding and simple pattern matching, since that makes it easier to deal with directories with large numbers of files.  For example, I might want to see just the files with part of a date string in the name so I can see just the ones from a particular day, such as "*20131230*".  I would not want to pay the processing price involved in dynamically trying to determine the actual file type by opening each file, especially since I can pretty easily do essentially the same thing with the "capinfos" command.

Just my 2¢...

Dana
--
Dana J. Dawson
Principal CPE Engineer, CCIE #1937 (R&S)