Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Promiscuous/Monitor Modes

From: Daniel <neagarudan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 18:24:37 +0100
Hello everybody!

According to the wireshark study guide by Laura Chappell, the wireless adapter can have 4 combinations of monitor/promiscuous mode configurations. I don't get one single configuration: when the monitor mode is enabled, but the promiscuous is disabled. As far as I understood, the host won't be associated with any AP, because it's in the monitor mode. In addition, the adapter won't capture any frames with a destination different than its own MAC address, because it's in the promiscuous mode. This means no traffic will be captured. What's the use of this configuration? Or did I understand something wrong?

Best Regards, Daniel