Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] tshark smb,srt filter error

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 16:30:03 -0400
On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> This is the best *official* reference I know of, and it's for XP
>> (through presumably things haven't changed much since most new work
>> has been going into PowerShell that I'm aware of):
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/concepts.mspx?mfr=true
>
> I'd found that - and also found some other pages that are apparently part of that reference, but not linked to other pages in the reference in any immediately obvious way.
>
> Any idea what page, if any, describes the quoting conventions?  I couldn't find one of those old-fashioned things called a "table of contents" for that document.
>
> (Or is this a case of "works best with Internet Explorer"?)
>
> This might be a useful reference for us to link to somewhere, as some tshark commands might require a fair bit of tricky quoting (such as the command that started this thread).

Some increasingly obscure googling led me to [1], [2] and [3]. Every
time I learn a little more about how Windows works, I get a little
more scared. Of particular note: "the quoting rules for
CommandLineToArgv differ from those of cmd"...

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/b/twistylittlepassagesallalike/archive/2011/04/23/everyone-quotes-arguments-the-wrong-way.aspx
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms683156%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
[3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/17w5ykft%28v=vs.85%29.aspx