Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Modify default profile location

From: Christopher Maynard <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 18:44:33 +0000 (UTC)
Troy Tate <Troy.Tate@...> writes:

> Is there a way to point the default profile location to a folder located
on a USB drive? I have a folder with
> multiple troubleshooting profiles that I want to use on multiple machines
but keeping them in sync under
> the local user account is a pain. Would it be better to maybe run
Wireshark portable in this case (although
> some of the machines are x64)?

Currently, you can override the default preferences location (and thereby
the default profile location) by defining an environment variable named
U3_APP_DATA_PATH to be set to the desired location.

Since 1.10 is the last version that will support U3[1] though, we should
probably change the name of that environment variable to something else.  My
vote would be to use WS_APPDATA, and I'll likely change it to that in the
trunk unless there are any objections.

- Chris

[1]: http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/LifeCycle