Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Timestamp precision

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 11:46:23 +0200
Hello,

I am capturing with dumpcap or tcpdump on a Linux machine.
Can someone provide me with some information/link(s) on
a) how precise the timestamps on an average Linux PC are
b) whether there are ways to improve the precision (OS wise or code wise)
c) a way of determining the timestamp precision of a given machine
d) what I should really have asked ;-)
What I'm interested in is not so much the absolute timestamp but the
precision of the delta between packets captured on the same interface.

Thanks
    Jörg