Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Need to record bandwidth used by branch office VPN tunnels

From: Hal Wigoda <hal.wigoda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 17:32:49 -0500
You would filter the traffic.  How you would do that I cannot answer at the time.

-------

On Aug 8, 2013, at 1:49 PM, "Gary Drost" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a site with two branch offices.  The branch offices communicate back to the main office through Branch Office VPN tunnels over the Internet.

If the office IP structure is:

  Main - 192.168.1.x
  Br1 - 192.168.2.x
  Br2 - 192.168.3.x

Can I use Wireshark at the main site to record the traffic coming to the main site from the remote sites over those VPN tunnels in order to determine the current bandwidth used by that traffic?

Can I do it without having to capture all the traffic (i.e. can I report on the bandwidth the traffic is using without having to capture that traffic)?

I would expect that I will need to capture stats for about a week and don't want to have to save GB worth of wireshark data, unless I have to, in order to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Gary