Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Communicating with many devices with the same IP address i

From: Lee <ler762@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:14:57 -0400
On 4/14/13, Bartosz Kiziukiewicz <kiziuk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings for The Community.
>
> This will be a bit apart from Wireshark itself but I haven't found a
> better place to start.
>
> I need to communicate with a device in LAN and to perform some "standard"
> operations using tools like curl, telnet (possibly with Expect) or any
> other typical tool. That's elementary.
>
> But, to increase efficiency of the entire process, I'd like to communicate
> simultaneously with many devices that  have a distinct MAC address BUT the
> same IP address - like performing software upgrade for many devices of the
> same kind and at the same time using only a single PC machine.
>
> I came to an idea that this is doable but there's a need to create a some
> sort of a framework that can be launched in a few instances (or using a
> script) and will take care of delivering frames with a particular source
> MAC address to particular child processes and also, for that child
> processes, replace a standard ARP table with a "local" ARP table attached
> to that child processes. For a single instance, a single IP to MAC mapping

What you're describing is a lot like multicast (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast )

For things like copying the same disk image to multiple machines (eg.
norton ghost) multicast can work really well.  For interactive things
like telnet or curl where you'd expect to get different responses from
different machines, I suspect you'd be better off running multiple
copies of expect concurrently.

Regards,
Lee