Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] USBPcap: USB capture on Windows

From: Tomasz Moń <desowin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:08:43 +0200

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Patrick Klos <patrick@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
This sounds like an interesting feature.  If I have some time to get to know the code and how it works, I may be willing to sign the driver(s) with my own certificate (once I can build them from scratch myself).  I've recently built a system upon which I can get the latest Wireshark sources and build Wireshark from scratch.  What does it take to get the USB support from there?

To build USBPcap release you must have following:
1.Windows Driver Kit 7.1.0 to build the binaries for XP, Vista and 7.
2.Visual Studio 2012 Professional or above and Windows Driver Kit 8 to build the binaries for Windows 8.
3.NSIS to build the installer.

To build all the files for release you need to execute the build_release.bat file. To change the certificate used by build process you should edit the config.bat file.

After all the release files are compiled, to get the installer, there is nsis\build_installer.bat file. The process will create signed uninstaller as well. The only file you would need to manually sign is the installer itself.

The patch to Wireshark awaits in the review for checkin state at bugzilla #8503 [1].