Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] where is WTAP_ENCAP type 80 (K12) in Import menue/or why i

From: Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 22:48:01 +0100
Ariel Burbaickij skrev 2013-03-04 22:02:
>What's the underlying link-layer type for the packets in your rf5 file?
good bad ol' E.1/MTP2 (I am almost tempter to add "of course" here)

>Let the user read a text file containing raw packet data in hex-dump form without requiring them to go to the command line and run >text2pcap.
Uhm, maybe I am slow wit here but we have SS7 MTP2, MTP3, SCCP there so as NOT text-based protocols as one can imagine or do I miss something? Then again, if SS7 MTP2 is supported can we just "strip" somehow K-12's overhead here and run text2pcap on whatever reamins there?

/wbr
Ariel Burbaickij

You should be able to use "file open" on a .rf5 file no need to do file import which is used differently as explained earlier.
Regards
Anders

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mar 4, 2013, at 10:46 AM, Ariel Burbaickij <ariel.burbaickij@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you for fast response, Guy.
>
>> not all link-layer header types that Wireshark can handle have corresponding pcap/pcap-ng link-layer header types - in particular, neither Tektronix rf5 nor HP nettl X.25 do
>
> So, is it something like work in progress and pcap/pcap-ng headers are going to be added or is it frozen for now?

Neither.

The list of link-layer header types is not frozen, but there is not, and probably never will be, an official tcpdump.org project or Wireshark to add particular link-layer header types; new types are added when somebody sends a request for a type to tcpdump-workers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and the request is accepted.

The current list, and instructions on how to add values, are at

        http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html

>> So why isn't that good enough?
>
> Because we would like to replay (using tcpreplay) files in pcap format, among other things.

Adding a new link-layer header type won't be sufficient; you'll also have to write a DLT plugin for the new type:

        http://tcpreplay.synfin.net/wiki/tcpeditDeveloper

What's the underlying link-layer type for the packets in your rf5 file?

What might be called for here is an *export* option to strip off metadata that's neither needed nor wanted by particular programs, converting encapsulations with no corresponding pcap/pcap-ng link-layer header type to one of those link-layer header types.