Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark Causing SMB Query

From: Jim Aragon <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 01:51:28 -0800
At 01:42 AM 3/3/2013, Guy Harris wrote:

>> The "preferences" file is stored on the USB flash drive under
>\PortableApps\WiresharkPortable\data\

>On my machine, it's stored on the SATA flash drive that came with the
>machine, under /Users/gharris/.wireshark. :-)

>Presumably, you mean "with a "portable app" version, the preferences
>file is stored on the USB flash drive ..."

Yes, PortableApps version 1.8.5.

I'm also wondering why Wireshark would look for this directory every time a capture is started or restarted, rather than when Wireshark is launched, shut down, or a preference is changed. Those seem like the logical times to read or write preferences, not when a capture is started.