Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark unable to decode SMB2 IOCTL buffer

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 01:01:56 -0500
On 2/22/2013 12:25 AM, Rupam Paul wrote:
Hi,

I have been using wireshark for long time. Recently I found that
wireshark is not able to show the buffer field of SMB2 IOCTL packet.

I am using wireshark Version 1.8.5 (SVN Rev 47350 from /trunk-1.8).
Please let me know how I would be able to see those field which are
reflecting as unknown.

Thanks,

Rupam

The short answer: Find a specification/descripton for those fields.   :)

For the first 'unknown' field the dissector source says:

	/* some unknown bytes */
	proto_tree_add_item(tree, hf_smb2_unknown, tvb, offset, 4, ENC_NA);
	offset += 4;

For the 'unknown' under the "Out Data", the smb2 dissector: has the following comment:

  /* dissector not yet implemented */
  {0x001440F2, "FSCTL_SRV_COPYCHUNK"},
  {0x00140078, "FSCTL_SRV_REQUEST_RESUME_KEY"},
  {0x001441bb, "FSCTL_SRV_READ_HASH"},

which may mean "info available but not implemented in the dissector" or "info not available so don't know how to dissect".

So: Unless & until someone provides info about the fields and/or a patch to dissect the fields, those fields will remain as "unknown"