Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] why is wireshark showing knoppix host

From: tnarkms <tnarkms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 14:27:53 +0000
*resending* previous email sent 02-06-2013 2316 utc, did not post.
[reordered for continuity]

On 02/05/2013 11:16 PM, Jaap Keuter wrote:
<>

> Probably your DSL router picked up that hostname once it saw your machines
> MAC address for the first time (two years ago). It retained that info and
> fed it into it's DNS responder.
> Go into the DSL routers' management interface and look at allocated
> addresses, you probably find the name there.

i do not believe that is cause. as stated above;

}>> nowhere on my system do i have the name 'knoppix' assigned.

i consider the router as a part of my system.

also;

}>> it used to correctly show my assigned hostname until last update.

which should have read;

  it used to correctly show my assigned hostname until sometime after
  my last update.

right now, if i grepped every file on my system, the only places 'knoppix'
would show up are in the wireshark files i have saved and in the emails
in this thread. also, possibly in some other emails.

minor correction to above. in 'tmp' directory, files 'nscopy-1.tmp' and
'nsemail-3.tmp' contain word 'knoppix'. but those are where mozilla
thunderbird keeps temporary files for emails. :)

i should have mentioned that when i first noticed knoppix name, i opened
firefox and selected router address, http://192.168.1.254/, from bookmarks
toolbar to find that correct host name is shown.

plus, router determines host name from computers as that are connected.

--
peace out.

tc, hago.

walking the walk. long live tux.

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*