Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] AIRPCAP and wireshark 1.8.4

From: Prigge Scott <PriggeScottM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:52:56 -0600
> if there is some problem with this version of wireshark because i am not able to decript wireless traffic?

Doubtful, these guys are pretty good. What is probably more likely is that you are attempting to view a cached SSL session which bypasses the full SSL key exchange. I can't remember where in the I saw/heard this, but I can tell you from personal experience that Wireshark can only decrypt SSL when the entire key exchange sequence has been captured. I'm sure someone on this board who is a lot smarter than me will give you a better way, but I can typically tell if the SSL session is cached because the Server Hello packet is approximately the same size as the Client Hello - meaning that the certificate was never transmitted. In a full key exchange, the entire certificate is transmitted which typically results in  one or more full-sized TCP segments before Wireshark rolls them up into a Server Hello in the Info column.