Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] are there any good tools/scripts for analyzing http reques

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 18:11:36 +0000

Hi Wen,

I haven’t had any problems with Wireshark and HTTP(s) traffic, can you provide an example of where it is inaccurate or where it doesn’t display a request / response? I know some people get thrown off by the fact that if you have a request / response that stretches across more than one frame its labeled as a HTTP on the last frame rather than the first.

EG

Frame 101  (tcp segment of reassembled pdu)   (packet byes show - Post /something….)

Frame 102  (tcp segment of reassembled pdu)   (packet byes show - more cookie / data)

Frame 104  (tcp segment of reassembled pdu)   (packet byes show - more cookie / data)

Frame 105  (Post /something….)                               (packet byes show - more cookie / data)

Have you tried ‘Follow TCP Stream’, does the Stream Content window work better for you?

That being said, when I’m working with HTTP(s) only (the network is good enough its an app issue) I like to use Fiddler (www.fiddler2.com/Fiddler2/version.asp), the SSL strip is nice when dealing with remote servers where I don’t have / cant get the certificate.

Fiddler is its own capture tool, it doesn’t read pcap(ng) files.

Hope that help

tim