Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] wireshark 1.4.6

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 00:59:16 -0800
On Jan 3, 2013, at 9:21 PM, "Varun Moruse" <varunmoruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am using Ubuntu 12.04
> i want to install wireshark 1.4.6 because I need it for particular purpose.
> Where could I get that?

I suspect there are no prebuilt packages for 1.4.6 for Ubuntu 12.04, given how old 1.4.6 is.

You could get the source from

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/wireshark/files/src/all-versions/wireshark-1.4.6.tar.bz2/download

(hopefully that'll direct you to the appropriate mirror site).

> Please tell me how to install that particular version on my system???

As it's source code, you will have to:

Make sure you have *development* packages of all the support libraries you need (libpcap, GLib, and GTK+ at a minimum), unpack the bzipped tarball (if the version of GNU tar on your Ubuntu system can't uncompress bzipped files, use bzcat and pipe that to tar), change to the source directory, run ./configure, run make if that works, run "make install" if that works (you may have to run it as "sudo make install").