Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] error: Neither Qt nor GTK+ 2.12 or later are available, so

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 01:51:41 -0800
On Dec 28, 2012, at 12:25 AM, Simon K <k_simon78@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please find the attached text files .
>
> 	• config.log_complete -- > Is the whole config.log file generated after running configure.

configure:22867: checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.12.0 and < 3.0
configure:23002: result: no
configure:23030: /opt/hp-gcc-4.4.3/bin/gcc -static-libgcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -W -Wextra -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -Wpointer-arith -Wno-pointer-sign -Warray-bounds -Wcast-align -Wformat-security -Wold-style-definition  -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -D_U_="__attribute__((unused))" -I/opt/adns/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include -Wl,+node
faultrpath -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c   >&5
In file included from /usr/include/gdk/gdk.h:32,
                 from /usr/include/gtk/gtk.h:32,
                 from conftest.c:29:
/usr/include/gdk/gdkapplaunchcontext.h:30:21: error: gio/gio.h: No such file or directory

so it is *NOT* passing the right -I options to gcc.

The configure script is just doing

			AM_PATH_GTK_2_0(2.12.0,
			[
				CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $GTK_CFLAGS"
				CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS $GTK_CFLAGS"
				have_gtk=yes
				AC_DEFINE(HAVE_GTK, 1,
				    [Define to 1 if compiling with GTK])
			], have_gtk=no)

which is, as far as I know, what it should be doing.  Perhaps AM_PATH_GTK_2_0 is not running pkg_config to find out the right options to pass to the compiler when it's testing to see whether it can compile.  If so, there's probably a Perfectly Good Reason why it's not doing that, but, then again, as John F. Woods said, "there are *fundamental* *technical* *reasons why you have to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain every now and then."

I shall look into this.  I sincerely hope I do not find that there are *fundamental* *technical* *reasons* why an autoconf script for a GTK+-based application, using AM_PATH_GTK_2_0, must be completely incapable of, err, umm, *automatically configuring* the build process to find the GTK+ libraries wherever they might be installed and wherever the pkg-config scripts installed with it say they are, so that the user is required to type in, as part of the configure script command line, the same information that is in the pkg-config file for GTK+, as indicated by the pkg-config output in your earlier message.

In any case, this is almost certainly not your fault.  If you're not going to be doing Wireshark development, but merely want to run Wireshark on your HP-UX machine(s), you might want to try installing the binary from the HP-UX Porting and Archive Centre:

	http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Gtk/Applications/wireshark-1.8.4/