Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Writing DUMPCAP ring buffer file directly to destination

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 12:50:37 -0800
On Dec 13, 2012, at 8:51 AM, John Powell <jrp999@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am currently running DUMPCAP as a service to capture packets in a high packet throughput environment.
>
> The command used is:
>
> /usr/local/bin/dumpcap -B 16 -i 2 -f vlan and (not vrrp and not udp port 1985 and not ether host 01:00:0c:cc:cc:cc) -g -b filesize:250000 -b duration:900 -w /data/eth1.cap
>
> I am experiencing disk IO issues.
>
> I suspect that part of my disk IO issue is due to copying the rotated file from \tmp to \data

Have you seen it copying the file from /tmp to /data?

Or are you just *assuming* it's writing the files to /tmp and copying them rather than just writing directory to files in /data?  It would be unwise to assume that, given that, in fact, it *doesn't* do that (and *didn't* do that in a test I just did); if you're seeing it copy the file, that's a bug.