Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] About screenshot copyrights - who to ask permission?

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 17:15:12 +1100
Teemu,

I'm doubtful in any jurisdiction or with any program, would screenshots be considered subject to copyright. The screen representation of any program is not the "work". Particularly if you are using the screenshot to describe the program in a book or to present say the finding of your analysis, it would just be considered as "fair use." It would be a different matter if you were saying copying the look-and-feel or a critical design to another program. In that case you might be infringing on a design rather than copyright,

Of course I am not a lawyer, Martin

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx

On 28 November 2012 21:01, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Nov 28, 2012, at 12:01 AM, <teemu.savolainen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am unsure if screenshots from Wireshark for a commercial publication requires special permission (license) or not.
>
> However, I have had serious difficulties in finding contact information for anyone from Wireshark Foundation with whom to talk about this. If someone here could point me to the right contact, I would be very thankful.

Well, the president of the Wireshark Foundation appears to be Jerry M. Kennelly:

        http://www.corporationwiki.com/California/Davis/wireshark-foundation-inc/44893298.aspx

and he is (drumroll, please...):

        http://ir.riverbed.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=198235&p=irol-govBio&ID=154071

the chairman and CEO of Riverbed Technology.

However, the person you probably want to speak with is the director of open-source projects at Riverbed, who is some guy named Gerald Combs; he's had some involvement with Wireshark. :-)

(Gerald has probably either answered you already or will do so, but I suspect the answer is that screenshots don't require special permission.  I'll let Gerald give the official answer, though.)