Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Experiencing Packet Loss in High Volume Packet Capture App

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:17:47 -0800
On Nov 26, 2012, at 1:11 PM, John Powell <jrp999@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for your input - sorry about the Microsoft document - for future reference - what type of document would suggest using to detail such information?

Plain text for the first page, and GIFs/PNGs for the images on the second and third pages?

PDF?

> Now one vendor appears to be able to come some ways to what we need, the problem is the the vendor can not decode one of our VoIP signalling protocols because it is proprietary even though Wireshark does a decent job.  For the SIP protocols the vendor solution will work.

Can the vendor write out capture files in a format that Wireshark can currently read?  (When you're directly using dumpcap to capture the packets, you're writing out capture files and reading them later.)

If not, can they write them out in a format for which they have sufficient documentation to allow us to write code for Wireshark that can read them (and which they're willing to let us read and to write *publicly-available GPL-licensed* code based on that documentation)?

(I.e., use the vendor's solution as a replacement for dumpcap, but *not* as a replacement for the entire process including dissection of the captures.)