Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] eth.fcs==0x00000000

From: Stuart Kendrick <skendric@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 04:53:09 -0800
Hi Guy,

See https://vishnu.fhcrc.org/bad-fcs/

Originally, I saw this behavior using Wireshark running on a Windows
guest inside the VMWare cluster.

However, I took the trace posted above using a Fluke Optiview XG (one of
its 'Network Ports', i.e. a port backed by custom hardware, capable of
line-rate capture), plugged into a switch port belonging to the relevant
VLAN, capture filter set to capture only ARPs.

As confirmation, I also ran Wireshark on a Windows VM inside the VMWare
cluster and saw similar behavior (i.e. intermittent frames flagged with
ETHERNET FRAME CHECK SEQUENCE INCORRECT).

So, I'm suggesting that Wireshark is behaving accurately here ...
mostly, I'm interested in the experience of other analysts:  is this a
known issue?

--sk