Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] finding a missing ICMP Echo Reply

From: Stuart Kendrick <skendric@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 09:33:10 -0700
Ahhh, I see ... icmp.resp_in is a flag set in ICMP Echo frames iff Wireshark can find the associated Response

And icmp.resp_to is a flag set in ICMP Echo Reply frames iff Wireshark can find the associated Request

That sounds like exactly what I want.

However.

(A)
"!(icmp.resp_in or icmp.resp_to) and (icmp.type==0 or icmp.type==8)" shows me 2992 frames ... most of which seem to be perfectly good request/response pairs

(B)
icmp.type==8 and !icmp.resp_in reports 1502 cases in which the Reply is missing ... but on manual examination, the first three are not accurate.

(C) My Perl code finds 33 situations where a Request is missing from a Reply or vice versa. On manual inspection, the first three are accurate ... I hope to crawl through the remainder, sanity checking them ...

If you'd like more detail, including the trace file:
https://vishnu.fhcrc.org/stuttered-icmp/

Wireshark 1.8.3 (SVN Rev 45256 from /trunk-1.8)

--sk