Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Launching a new window from Display filters

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 00:12:00 +0200
Hi,

Why not go back in the filter history? It's there, default 10 deep, but you can set it deeper.

Thanks,
Jaap

On 10/02/2012 04:24 PM, FS wrote:
Folks - My sincere thanks for a wonderful product which has saved the day for me
many times. There's one thing I haven't been able to do so far and I thought
asking the knowledgeable folks here might be a good idea. I did try googling
without any luck.

The workflow of using wireshark, for me at least, is to open a capture, focus in
on a conversation and then try and use further filters to get the information
I'm looking for. Is there a way to launch a separate Wireshark window instance
with the results of the display filter, so within the new window I can use
further display filters to get the data I want. Currently if the display filter
doesn't show what I want, then I have to clear the filter completely and re-type
(or paste depending on circumstance) the filters again and start afresh.

I know I can save the displayed packets as a separate capture, and then open it
up, but hoping there is another better way to do it.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Basti Ji