Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] why is "Wireless setting" grayed out in wireshark?

From: Kevin Wilson <wkevils@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 15:41:30 +0300
Hi,
I have Version 1.6.10 of wireshark on Fedora 17.

I have a Ralink USB wireless adapter which supports "monitor mode".
I ran the following:

iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
ifconfig  wlan0 up

and ifconfig wlan0 shows wlan0 is up and running.

Now when I open wireshark on the same machine, and go to Capture->Options,
I select wlan0. The problem is that the "wireless setting" button is
grayed in this dialog.
Also the "Link-Layer header type" is disabled.

This is the same when "Capture packets in monitor mode" is selected or not
(or "Capture packets in promiscuous mode is selected or not ).

Any idea why is it so and what should be done to enable these two buttons ?

Regards,
Kevin