Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Reason for RTP Pb?

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 22:28:01 -0400
On 9/11/2012 8:35 PM, Rob Bosch wrote:
I've been trying to figure out the logic behind the Pb? column in the RTP
Stream analysis.  I have a VOIP RTP stream I captured that has these
characteristics:

Payload: g711U
Packets: 15091
Lost: 0 (0.0%)
Max Delta: 40.25ms (all but one packet falls into the 19 to 21 range)
Max Jitter: 3.63
Mean Jitter: 0.70
Pb?: X

When I analyze the stream, there are no packets with a status that is not
[Ok].  So why is the stream marked as a problem?  By the way, all the RTP
streams have the an X in the "Pb?"  column.  I'm sure I'm missing something
simple.

A quick look at the current RTP code indicates that "X" should be set in the "Pb?" column only if the analysis for that stream shows one or more frames with a status of either "Wrong sequence nr." or "Incorrect timestamp" intead of "OK".

If that's not the case (as you indicate above) then, if possible, please attach the capture file to a bug report (bugs.wireshark.org) so that the issue can be looked at.

If necessary, the bug can be marked private so that the capture file (and bug) can be seen only by the Wireshark core developers.