Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing Email Traffic

From: "RUOFF, LARS (LARS)" <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:20:52 +0200
Hi Mike,

No, if someone would be using a different port for email, then Wireshark will not decode it as SMTP or POP in the first place. (Because the dissection for these protocols is based on a port preference. Meaning that Wireshark will only decode the packets as POP/SMTP if the traffic goes over the well known port numbers for these protocols)
What you would need is some sort of heuristics that can identify POP/SMTP from the packet data itself, but i don' think Wireshark has that built in for the moment.
Otherwise, if your email is unencrypted, you might just as well want to filter on common plain-text email headers within the data portion of any TCP traffic.

regards,
Lars