Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] CentOS 6.3 and DUMPCAP -B option

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 10:32:46 -0400
John Powell wrote:
Hi Jeff,

THANKS so much for your guidance- I have never done something like this before and it is pretty cool that is worked.

I was looking in the Source directory for 1.8.1 and did not see a SPEC file.

Wireshark's version is in packaging/rpm/SPECS/wireshark.spec{.in} . The version I quoted was from Fedora Core 17 (they have their own spec file). I quoted theirs mainly because... Hmmm, I thought I used it as a base for an RPM I recently built for CentOS 6 but maybe I actually started with CentOS 6's spec file. Hmm...

For future reference, I would like to know how to determine the requirements as the Config.Log file seemed too cryptic for me but I have had experience with SPEC files. Could you enlighten me?

The main place to start would be the INSTALL file in the top-level directory of the source; it's supposed to tell you the dependencies you need (if it doesn't that's a bug).