Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] noob question: linux vs windows difference

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:23:38 +0530
Wireshark noob here so please correct me if my question is inappropriate.

Ive a strange problem.

To get onto the net I have to browse to a specific location that my ISP gives and give login and password.
After that I can use the net, else I get some jboss error.

Now my ISP seems to have changed something (or else gnome changed something on an upgrade but that seems more unlikely)
After that I cant login via linux but only via windows.

So current status is that I have to login to windows connect to login-site, reboot to linux and then net-browsing works on linux until powerdown.

So one general and one specific question:

1. Is this kind of problem suitable to debug with wireshark?
2. Can I find from a wireshark packet which process 'owns' it?  ie which process is the one that sent/intended to receive it?

Thanks