Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark V1.8.0 - analysing dual NIC capture

From: Tamás Varga <Tamas.Varga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 11:10:49 +0200
Sounds to be a handy feature! Before advancing the idea, beware the use cases when it is useful and when it is not. From my former projects, I have collected some, see the examples below. My understanding is, that using the "frame.interface_id" field, one can filter and analyze packets without combination coming from multiple interfaces.
/Tamas

Some use cases where combination is useful:
- Dual-interface end hosts communicate over two Ethernet switches in load balancing mode. Packets of a TCP connection may be sent over both switches, thus combining packets from both switch port mirroring is a needed to have an entire TCP flow anaysis.
- In case of tapping optical links, you receive uplink and downlink packet stream in separately, obviously, recombination is also a need here.
- In 3GPP systems, where ATM is still in place, there the control-plane is sent over ATM/AAL5 and user-plane is conveyed in Ethernet/IP (or still over ATM). Combination of traces with different link layer framing is awkward complicated (without this 1.8.0 feature).

Some use cases where combination is not useful:
- For troubleshooting delay/loss problems, the traffic is captured "before" and "after" the box suspected. The packets of the same TCP connection appear twice, which are actually two different snapshots of the traffic.
- Similar to above, when in 3GPP core network, traffic of Iu,Gn,Gi interfaces is conveyed on the same switching infrastucture (via different VLAN). Thus the same user packet is present with different tunnel headers.