Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] wireshark sees jumbo TCP packets in linux

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:37:01 -0700
On recent linux distros (mine is Ubuntu 12.4 with 3.2.0-23 kernel),
wireshark captures of an sftp large file transfer showed jumbo-sized
TCP packets significantly larger than 1500 bytes. This is on a linux
laptop with a 1500 MTU Ethernet, so it could not possibly reflect
what actually goes out on the wire.

If you do the wireshark capture on the large file sender, you see
outbound packets as large as 64K. If you do the wireshark capture
on the large file receiver, you see inbound packets anywhere from
~2KB - ~16KB.

The source of the confusion turned out to be linux performance
enhancements called Generic Segment Offload (GSO), Genereic
Reassembly Offload (GRO) and TCP Segment Offload (TSO). These
functions push the TCP segmentation/reassembly function down to
the network layer driver code and somehow circumvent the packet
capture hooks which should be showing the actual packets that
go out on the wire instead of the jumbos.

To turn these functions off, type:

# ethtool --offload eth0 gso off
# ethtool --offload eth0 tso off
# ethtool --offload eth0 gro off

You should now see wireshark picking up packets that are no
larger than the actual network interface MTU, i.e., the
actual packets that go out on the wire.

Have others seen this? Is there a better workaround than
what I described above?

Thanks - Fred