Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] "radius.MAC_Address" renamed to "radius.Mac_Addr"?

From: "René Scheibe" <rene.scheibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 10:36:17 +0200
On 06/04/2012 02:57 AM, Bill Meier wrote:
> On 6/3/2012 5:20 PM, Ren� Scheibe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just upgraded from 1.2.15 to 1.6.8 and was wondering why and where
>> "radius.MAC_Address" was renamed to "radius.Mac_Addr"?
>>
>> I cannot find either to old or the new field name in any Radius
>> dictionary file. Is this hardcoded somewhere in the sources? (I could
>> not find it there too.) I only saw the change mentioned on the webpage
>> in the Radius reference list.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ren� Scheibe
>

> This field is defined in dictionary.redback
Thanks for the info.

> ATTRIBUTE    Mac-Addr                145    string
I was only searching for 'radius.Mac_Addr' (as stated in
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/dfref/r/radius.html).

> The change from 'MAC_Address' to 'Mac-Addr' was made as part of SVN 28996
>

> r28996 | wmeier | 2009-07-07 13:52:03 -0400 (Tue, 07 Jul 2009) | 3 lines
>
> Update dictionary files from FreeRadius 2.1.6 [5/18/09]: part 2:
> Modified files w/o conflicts with current Wireshark radius dictionary
> files.
>

> (Aside: Not previously having looked at this part of the radius code it
> surprises me a bit that the radius 'filter names' derived from the
> attribute names aren't qualified by the 'vendor name'.
>
> Maybe the 'hf[]' array entries generated from the dictionay files are
> really only intended to be used for specifying the 'display' format in
> the packet-details display and thus the filter names aren't really
> intended to be used).
I was using 'radius.MAC_Address' with underscore in my filters (as
stated in the reference). But now I see that it's defined with a hyphen
in the dictionary. That's a bit confusing.

Can both versions (underscore and hyphen) be used for all attributes or
what's the one to be used.