Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Why does server resend SYN+ACK?

From: Stuart Kendrick <skendric@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 06:12:57 -0700
Hi Andrej,

I'm having similar trouble telling a story around that.

As though Frame #3 had not arrived at the Server (85.17.148.76) ... if that were the case, then the trace would make more sense.  However, you say that you captured /on/ the Server ... so, minimally, libpcap saw Frame #3 ... I would expect the TCP stack to receive a copy as well.

(1) Does anyone know of circumstances under which libpcap acquires a copy of a frame while the TCP stack does not?

(2) Does the TCP stack report problems ( 'bad segments received') right after this experience?
linux> netstat -s
[...]
Tcp:
    372 active connections openings
    4509 passive connection openings
    120 failed connection attempts
    2 connection resets received
    1 connections established
    43095 segments received
    33255 segments send out
    0 segments retransmited
    0 bad segments received.
    120 resets sent

(3) Would you be willing to post a detailed view of Frames 1-3?

--sk