Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Problemi Ubiquiti SRC

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:24:27 -0700
On Apr 15, 2012, at 4:50 AM, seby slt wrote:

> hello i have problem with ubiquiti src  ,no packet in promiscuous mode my card is compatible with wireshark ?

I assume by "with ubiquiti" you mean that you have some device from Ubiquiti Networks:

	http://www.ubnt.com/

At least from what the Wikipedia page about them:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubiquiti_Networks

says, their devices might behave like Wi-Fi devices.

If you're using them with Windows, "compatible with Wireshark" really means "compatible with WinPcap" - Wireshark includes no code that knows about particular networking adapters except for AirPcap adapters, it relies on libpcap/WinPcap and the OS mechanisms atop which libpcap/WinPcap run - and, with WinPcap, Wi-Fi adapters don't work very well in promiscuous mode:

	http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-16

"The WinPcap device driver was developed to work primarily with Ethernet (10/100/1000) adapters. Support for other MACs was added during the development, but Ethernet remains the most tested one.
The overall situation is:

	• Wireless adapters: these adapters may present problems, because they are not properly supported by the Windows Kernel. Some of them are not detected, other don't support promiscuous mode. In the best case, WinPcap is able to see an Ethernet emulation and not the real transiting packets: this means that the 802.11 frames are transformed into fake Ethernet frames before being captured, and that control frames are not received."