Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] large capture files

From: Christopher Maynard <christopher.maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:33:13 +0000 (UTC)
Abbhishek Misra <abhishekfishy2000@...> writes:

> I'm using wireshark to capture wifi packet.
> When capture is run for long duration,  say 70k+ plus packets, wireshark hangs.
>
> Please let me know what method should be used for large captures.

Try using dumpcap[1] instead, then post-analyze the capture file(s) with
Wireshark afterwards.  Using dumpcap will avoid any potential out-of-memory[2]
problems that can occur with long-running captures.

- Chris

[1]: http://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/dumpcap.html
[2]: http://wiki.wireshark.org/KnownBugs/OutOfMemory