Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Issue with RTT values in Wireshark

From: Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 15:27:01 +0100
Hi Nitin,

Looking at 3550 (for the first time in years!) it does say that that both sender and receiver reports will have receiver report *blocks*.  Each side does send an actual Receiver Report frame at the beginning, although neither are involved in the calculations.  So its fine to see times calculated involving only Sender Report frames.  You see Sender Report frames because both sides are sending.

I was interested to see some RTCP Extended reports (RFC 3611) in the capture.  These have lots of interesting fields, inlcuding Round Trip Delay, and System Delay.  It appears as though lots of the fields are filled in with plausible values, but not these 2, which are both 0.  Hopefully Wireshark is decoding these OK, but I've never seen them being used in a real trace before.  If you look up the spec and see that these are not being dissected correctly, file a bug report and we'll get it fixed.  If we are not doing this right, but Hammer is, that might explain where their values come from?

I'm going to draw a detailed picture of how this calculation works (now), and attach include it in wiki.wireshark.org/RTCP.  This will show you exactly what we are measuring.  This calculation can be useful, but what you see very much depends upon where the capture point is.  It also depends upon the accuracy of the DLSR value filled in by the endpoints.  Wireshark does verify the 'Last SR timestamp' field by comparing it against the middle part of the timestamp in the frame we use in our calculation.

One other thing I see is that the DCP / ToS in the IP frames indicates that RTP is send with Expedited Forwarding, whereas RTCP is not.  Which might mean that your RTCP frames are treated quite differently from the RTP frames, whose roundtrip time you are actually interested in.  Having said that, the measured roundtrip seems pretty constant in both directions.

Hope this helps.  I will add a picture to wiki now,
Martin