Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Should the "export as text" item be in an "Export Human-re

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 00:44:07 -0400
On Apr 7, 2012, at 12:05 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

> The mistake that caused this question to be asked:
>
> 	http://ask.wireshark.org/questions/10000/how-to-get-the-txt-file-back-to-wireshark
>
> might be due to people thinking that the result of an "Export" operation is something that contains the raw data from the packets and thus can be read into Wireshark.  (The question itself appears to have hoped that, even if it couldn't be read into Wireshark, it still contained the raw data, which, in this case, it didn't.)

(I'm suggesting the change because those assumptions are not necessarily unreasonable, and it might be better if the menu items were named in such a way as to more strongly and clearly indicate that exporting as {raw text, pretty PostScript text, CSV field values, XML packet summaries, XML packet details} can be lossy, and thus irreversable, conversions, and are not just a variant of "Save As...".)