Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] dumpcap permissions - Quick help for Ubuntu newbie needed

From: Wes <wes_r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 04:58:16 -0700 (PDT)
Just so you know, your not alone, I get the same results as you...

$ pwd
/home/test
$
$ sudo dumpcap -w test.pcap
The file to which the capture would be saved ("test.pcap") could not be opened: Permission denied.
$
$ sudo dumpcap -w /home/test/test.pcap
The file to which the capture would be saved ("/home/test/test.pcap") could not be opened: Permission denied.
$

I did go a step further and touched a test.pcap file. Still didn't work with these permissions:

 -rw-rw-r-- 1 test test  0 2012-03-21 08:00 test.pcap

I then changed it to full rwx permissions and it worked:

 -rwxrwxrwx 1 test test 0 2012-03-21 08:00 test.pcap

$ sudo dumpcap -w test.pcap
File: test.pcap
Packets captured: 18
Packets received/dropped on interface eth0: 26/0
$

I leave it to someone better at Linux than me to figure out why...

Wes