Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Jitter calculation in WIreshark

From: "RUOFF, LARS (LARS)** CTR **" <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:01:14 +0100
Hi,

well, first of all, it's not the people at Wireshark that came up with this, but the people that specified RFC3550. So maybe it would be better to ask them.

Now, just to give my 2 cents, what i think is that jitter is a measure that should *increase* both for packets beeing too late (with respect to their expected arrival time) as well as for packets being too early. Since both are problematic, both should contribute positively (i.e. increasing the "badness") to the overal jitter value.
Otherwise put, you shouldnt be able to buy you good jitter by buying back bad late packets with bad early packets.
That's certainly the reasoning behind taking the absolute value of the difference.

regards,
Lars