Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark-users] Nvidia MCP onboard wired 10/100/1000 NIC

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:31:45 -0800
On Jan 25, 2012, at 10:18 AM, Steve Gladden wrote:

> I have an open ticket with Gigabyte (no useful reply yet).
>
> And also have an email out to nicfae@xxxxxxxxxxx with my questions regarding promiscuous mode in Win7 64bit with WinPcap and Wireshark.

Just out of curiosity, try downloading Microsoft Network Monitor:

	http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=4865

and see if *it* can capture in promiscuous mode.  If not (as I suspect will be the case), then if they blame it on WinPcap (it's not an issue with Wireshark - Wireshark 100% relies on libpcap/WinPcap to handle packet capture, so any other program using WinPcap, such as WinDump, will have the same issue), tell them that it also doesn't work with Microsoft Network Monitor (which means it's probably a problem either with their hardware or with their driver).